Quest For Wholeness
Philippians 3:12-14 & Joshua 1:1-9
Quest – a search or pursuit in order to find or obtain something – an adventurous expedition undertaken by a knight or knights to secure or achieve something.
Quest For Wholeness is a process of __________________ for the broken.
Identify the areas you need healing in:
In order to experience healing and wholeness you must have ___________ eyes to see the ___________________.
God’s promised land to us = our _______________________
Your ______________ to the past is ______________.
Things to realize in forgetting the past:
Forgetting the past is not something that will not happen on its ____________;
you have to make the __________________ to forget it.
_____________ does not mean it never comes in our mind again, but that we
stop ________________ on our past.
We are always called to forgive, but letting them back into our life can depend on the circumstance; therefore, we need God’s _______________________.
We must _______________ with our past to not be hindered by our past.
You can make amends but you have no ________________ over how they react
and that is not something you are _____________________ for.
The process of healing and restoring takes ______________.
It’s a _______ day, a ________ season, and we are going to a ________ place.
Quest for Wholeness: Healing the Broken
Welcome Ladies! I am so pumped about doing this series: Quest For Wholeness.
Quest For Wholeness is very personal to me.
- life Group lesson – Jehovah Rapha
- personal search to understand the Healer and our healing
- Extreme faith – realizing this had been my personal quest for wholeness
I am also excited because my daughter, Taylor Draughn who has a Master’s degree in Marriage and Family Therapy, works at The Center for Children and families and counsels as Christian Counseling Resource Center is joining me for this series.
Taylor, why don’t you tell everyone our strategy before we begin.
-Mom and I are going to work together to address real issues of hurts and brokenness that we may face in our everyday lives.
-I am going to approach our topics from a professional counseling aspect and give practical ways to help work through situations to help you attain healing -Mom will focus on the scripture and share some personal experiences from her own pursuit of healing.
-We are calling this a quest. A quest is defined as a search or pursuit in order to find or obtain something –
-An adventurous expedition undertaken by a knight or knights to secure or achieve something.
-In other words Quest For Wholeness is about, you and I as believers in Christ going on an adventurous expedition to obtain our healing and wholeness.
Taylor I want to talk a little about what are where we might need healing.
- About healing – physical, emotional, spiritual, heart, and relational
- For me one of the greatest places of past healing is from addiction – alcoholism
Still areas of wholeness I haven’t experienced fully in my life – Paul (Phil.3:12-14)
Phil. 3:12-14 – Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
- What area of your life do you need healing in?
- Are you in the midst of a broken relationship?
- Is your heart broken? Is your body sick?
- It will be very important for you to identify what areas you need healing in as we begin this quest.
–The person with the worst problems is the person who can’t admit they have a problem.
-In order to experience healing and wholeness you must have CLEAR eyes to see the PROBLEM.
– It is necessary to acknowledge that healing is needed in order to be healed.
That is great Taylor. Thanks!
Let’s look at Joshua 1:1-9.
- This is when God is about to send the Israelites on their quest to attain the Promised Land.
- We will correlate their Promised Land to our wholeness.
God’s promised land to us = our WHOLENESS
Talk about what Moses
- Moses = their leader for 40 years.
- Joshua and the Israelites experienced God because of his relationship with Moses.
- Moses died alone on the mountain with God. He did not come back – no closure.
- Moses represents their link to the past.
- Therefore God says, “Moses, my servant is dead. (Joshua had to hear.)
Your Link to the past is Dead.
- Moses represents our link to the past.
- The link to the past is dead. – God is calling them to the promised land. In the Movie, Garfield, there is a dog in chains that Garfield taunts by walking just outside of the chain’s length. Every time Garfield walks by the dog in chains lunges for Garfield and every time the chains yank him back. The chains kept the dog from moving further forward and from reaching his desired goal, Garfield.
How can being chained to the past hinder us in moving forward?
- Our past can be good and/or bad – Paul had both in his, but he knew to move forward he had to forget the past – Philippians 3:13
Taylor, have you got any professional or practical advise for us in forgetting the past?
– two different situations in forgetting the past.
-1. has to do with a wrong being done to you and moving forward from it.
– It is not always easy for forget.
– Think we deserve to hold on to the past because of what was done to us.
– People are hurt and are unwilling to move forward.
– The problem is that the victim is the one who is being hurt.
– I will ask clients how the individuals that hurt them are doing.
– They usually have negative things to say, but the perpetrator is not beating themselves up for what they did.
– You cannot control other people and how they behave, but you can control your response.
– Forgetting the past is not something that will happen on its OWN; you have to make the DECISION to forget it.
-I have heard many horror stories of things that have been done to people, and I never diminish how awful the situation was.
– Have to move forwards and put their past behind them because that is when healing can occur.
Forget does not mean it never comes in our mind again, but that we stop acting on our past.
- I want explain the word study of “remember”
When I was in seminary and studied the Introduction to Hebrew I studied the word remember in the Old Testament. I discovered that the meaning wasn’t the same as we think of remember, like you forget something and then remember it at a later time. Remember in the Old Testament expresses a remembering based on a moment in which one thinks about something and is motivated to action. So when God remembered Noah in the Genesis flood, it wasn’t that God forgot Noah but that acted on behalf of Noah and stopped the flood waters.
– People that are attempting to move forward from a hurt are told that we are called to forgive but not always forget.
– Forgiveness can mean letting these individuals back into your life.
– It is necessary to remember what has happened in order to guard yourself from any future hurts.
– With clients, I help set up boundaries in order to create a healthy relationship with the individual that has caused them pain in the past.
Are you saying that forgiveness means you have to let someone who has hurt you back into your life?
-No, that will depend upon the situation and who it is.
-My struggle with helping individuals in this situation. Look at Joseph in the old Testament. On the other hand, we have a loving God that doesn’t want to see His children hurt. There is some friction there.
-We are always called to forgive, but letting them back into our life can depend on the circumstance; therefore, we need God’s GUIDANCE.
-Family member? Friend? Sexual abuse? Lies told about you?
– You will have to determine that based on individual situations and with a lot of prayer.
-This is not something you want to go at alone. You will need God’s guidance.
That is so true! We definitely don’t want to think we can deal with our pasts without a lot of prayer!
We must DEAL with our past to not be hindered by our past.
- Bad stuff we tend to stuff, to
- maybe because of shame or even embarrassment.
- I personally did not experience freedom from my past until I faced it head on and laid it out before God.
- God buried Moses. We must let God bury our past too.
- Dealing with our past will bring about healing and growth in our relationship with Christ.
So Taylor what else was it you wanted to talk about regarding forgetting our past?
-Having a negative past and feeling like no amount of forgiveness will correct the wrongs you have done.
-When Jesus died on the cross, He died for all sins.
-We are forgiven and made new until you realize that you will not live in the freedom that living in Christ offers.
– In work with former addicts through their recovery process.
– One of the most important pieces in their recovery is making amends.
– This can be healing not only for the people that you have hurt but for yourself.
– Making amends simply means letting the individual you hurt know you are sorry and living out the change.
– You can make amends but you have no CONTROL over how they react and that is not something you are ACCOUNTABLE for.
-You are only accountable for doing what God calls us to do
Taylor I want to talk a minute about the word repent.
- Repent is a biblical word – used is in church
- Repent speaks turning from one direction to another. (180)
- Repent is not equivalent to remorse
So basically what I hear you saying is, you can’t make amends simply by going and saying you are sorry, you have to determine to go in the opposite direction.
Is that right?
– Definitely. What is the point in making amends if there is not action that follows?
– The type of action that is necessary will vary from situation to situation, but the basics is this: Doing the right thing even when you don’t want to. It has to be a deliberate decision made to change your actions. Ex. Normally run but can’t anymore.
– The process of healing and restoring takes TIME and you have to be patient in the process
-The process of building trust takes time, but if you continue to do what you say you are going to do the faster the process goes.
-You will not be perfect in this process because we are imperfect beings, but when you fail, ask for forgiveness and keep moving forward
So we have seen today from Paul and from Joshua that to move forward into our Promised Land of Wholeness, we must come to a place of unlinking or forgetting our past.
In Philippians 3:12-14, Paul says, I press on, reach forward, and press toward.
- Joshua is raised up as a new leader.
- We are embarking on a new journey.
- Going to a new place.
- Quest is taking us to a new place
- It’s a New day, a New season, and we are going to a New place.
We are so glad you have joined us and we want to hear from you. Let us know how this has helped you or how we can better help you. If there are specific questions you want us to address in our podcasts just send me an email at email@example.com